The armreliquiar was made in 1481 in Lyon, France. King Louis XI. Of France had it made there with a goldsmith. The silver-driven and gilded arm, with the naturalistic hand, contains the bones of Charlemagne, including the elbow and spine of the right forearm.
On 12 October 1481 the bones from the shrine of Charlemagne were solemnly transferred to the new armreliquiar.